Why are volunteers so valuable?
The Silverdale Volunteer Fire Company is a 100% volunteer fire department. The members do not get paid or reimbursed for their time spent in the organization.
It’s important to know that we do not receive state or county funds. We depend on fundraisers, donations, and the subsidy we get from Silverdale Borough and Hilltown Township. If we were to close, your taxes may or may not increase. However, your insurance costs would at least double!
We work for free, but we can’t run a fire department for free.
Donations can be sent to:
Re: SVFC Donation 2019
Silverdale Vol. Fire Co. No. 1
111 W. Main St., PO Box 83
Silverdale, Pa. 18962-0083
- Silverdale is 100% volunteer. In contrast, a paid fire company with 5 people costs roughly $900,000 per year to operate.
- Silverdale fire company provides 4 fire trucks and over 30 firefighters for free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- All of the members are required to pass the essentials of firefighting provided by the state and county fire academies.
- Our members are cross-trained as EMTs (emergency medical technicians) and VRTs (vehicle rescue technicians).
- Our members also spend thousands of hours a year keeping their firefighting and rescue knowledge up to date.
- We provide emergency services to the residents and businesses in Silverdale Borough and Hilltown Township.